Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC)
If you are faced with an advanced cancer in the abdomen, expert care is essential to provide the best possible treatment available. The HIPEC program offered by Dr. Sherman and Dr. Olson combines the advanced surgical skill and experience of both surgeons with a specially trained OR staff, anesthesiology group and nursing program. The result is an outstanding team dedicated to the thorough eradication of your disease in the safest manner possible.
What is HIPEC?
Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy starts with a thorough evaluation of your history and staging of the tumor that is present. Education is provided before the procedure to help you understand what to expect before, during and after your hospital stay.
One the day of the operation, your care is handled by a team of experts. During an extensive and potentially lengthy operation, Dr. Olson and Dr. Sherman will work side by side to remove all signs of cancer. Once this has been accomplished, we raise the temperature of the tissues in the abdomen and circulate chemotherapy over the exposed surfaces to most directly affect and kill any remaining cancer cells. Following the operation, you will be closely monitored to ensure a smooth recovery.
Why we recommend HIPEC:
- The benefit of heat and chemotherapy combines for a cancer killing effect that is greater than heat or chemotherapy alone.
- Since the chemotherapy is confined primarily to the abdomen, we can provide a dose that is higher and more effective than intravenous chemotherapy.
- No treatment has proven more effective for treatment of advanced intra-abdominal cancers.
Diseases that we treatment:
- Pseudomyxoma peritoneii (appendiceal cancer)
- Peritoneal mesothelioma
- Selected cases of advanced colon cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Selected cases of: Gastric cancer, Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors (GIST), recurrent cancers.